SAN FRANCISCO CELEBRATES THE 2ND ANNUAL PHOENIX DAY OCTOBER 16TH, 2022
Neighbors Across SF Reclaim Streets To Celebrate Community, Health and Resilience
San Francisco, CA — As the future of San Francisco’s streets heads to the ballot box this November, the 2nd Annual Phoenix Day on October 16th, 2022 from 12:00-5:00pm will empower diverse groups across the City to transform their own streets into car-free spaces to celebrate community, health and resilience. Emerging out of the pandemic in 2021, Phoenix Day is the newest addition to the Sunday Streets roster, taking place on the 3rd Sunday of every October to give neighbors the tools to host block parties, family fun hubs, sidewalk sales, and other community happenings that celebrate the people and places they love in San Francisco. Phoenix Day 2022 destination and activity highlights include:
- Bayview (India Basin Fall Fest at India Basin Park & Hawes St) with free kids games, resource zone, and live entertainment
- Chinatown (Grant Ave btw Sacramento and Washington St) with an interactive augmented reality and screenprinting installation, live music and dance performances
- Fog and Gold Flag Scavenger Hunt at select business across San Francisco
- Mission/Potrero (Mutiny Radio Comedy Fest on 21st St between Alabama & Bryant St) with comedy performances, food truck and pop-up retailers
- Mission/Valencia (Valencia btw 15th and 16th and @ Cherin’s Lot) featuring live music, interactive art installations, and pop-up retail
- Ocean Ave Family Fun Hub (Faxon Ave btw Ocean Ave De Montfort Ave) with a bounce house, live music, and pop-up retail
- Slow Sanchez Block Party (Sanchez St btw 26th St & Clipper St) with free kids activities and food specials by Noe Cafe
- Tenderloin (blocks on Golden Gate Ave & Ellis St) with a rock climbing wall by SF Rec & Park, kids activities, free food giveaway, and resource tabling by Glide, St. Anthony Foundation, and Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation
- Western Addition (Soulful Sundays on O’Farrell btw Fillmore & Steiner St) with live jazz music, family resources, and fitness activities
- For more information and a full list of activity partners, visit SundayStreetsSF.com/PhoenixDay.
“Sunday Streets Phoenix Day is the perfect program to bring our City back together after the pandemic” says SFMTA Director Jeffrey Tumlin, “Every neighborhood gets to use their streets to celebrate what’s important to them while joining a citywide community who is showing up for the people and places they love in San Francisco. ”
The Sunday Streets SF program is generously supported by the City family, including the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) as the presenting agency sponsor. The 2022 SeasonSponsors include: the San Francisco Department of Public Health Community Health & Equity Promotion, Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) and Spare the Air, SF Human Rights Commission, Bay Wheels, Wu Yee Children’s Services, SF Public Works, Office of Economic and Workforce Development, SF Department of Recreation and Parks, UCSF, Niantic Labs, and iHeartMedia. Corporate exhibitors include Comcast/Xfinity.
About Sunday Streets
Sunday Streets is a program of the nonprofit Livable City, presented in partnership with the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, the San Francisco Department of Public Health, and the Shape Up SF Coalition. Additional City support comes from San Francisco Public Works, Department Recreation & Parks, Police Department, SF County Transportation Authority, San Francisco Mayor London Breed and her offices, and the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.
About Livable City
Livable City is dedicated to increasing affordable housing, improving transportation, land use, open space, environmental policies, and supporting grassroots initiatives to make San Francisco a safer, healthier, and more accessible city. For more information on Livable City, visit LivableCity.org.